10 Things I am Grateful For
A couple of week’s ago, I experienced my first ever panic attack. I had put Elly to bed and was watching State of Affairs when I decided to go to sleep as well. What followed was something that baffled me until I discovered that I was having a panic attack. As I lay in bed willing my brain to relax so I could fall asleep, I started breathing very heavily while having very disturbing thoughts. I tossed and turned for quite a while until I realized that I was sinking lower and lower into a dark, terrifying abyss. I then turned to prayer, my only source of refuge when I need the strength to keep on pushing forward. I remember asking God to take the burdens away because I couldn’t carry them anymore. After that I thanked Him for every good thing that He has granted me. Soon a feeling of peace engulfed me and I fell asleep.
It’s very easy to fall into the trap of complaining about things or letting challenging moments take over your thoughts. For instance, the temperature is higher or lower than what we deem comfortable, you have to walk a longer distance than you anticipated, your phone keeps giving you problems, that person spoke to you badly, life has dealt you a very bad hand, the list is endless. However, it is important to recognize that bad things will always happen. Living has its ups and downs and when you realize this and accept it, you will live a happier life. With this in mind, I sort out 10 things that I am grateful for and decided to share them with you in the hope that you will also get inspired to look out for those things that you are grateful for.
10 things I am grateful for (in no particular order)
1. My daughter. Elly has given me life. Parenting, especially alone, is hard, very hard, but seeing how much she has grown, how fast she catches onto things, her dazzling smile, loving hugs and not to forget her naughtiness makes every struggle worth it.
2. My family. My parents and siblings are my rock. I wouldn’t be here without them. We are a close-knit family and often joke about how your personal business is everyone else’s business. They have been my source of strength these last three years and I thank God every day for them.
3. My core group of friends. I have a handful of friends who have seen me through the good, the bad and the ugly and they have helped me through it all.
4. This here blog. This was my introduction to the world of fashion and it has really helped me learn so much about website management, social media management, fashion, among many other skills.
5. You my lovely followers and clients. Every time I have been on the verge of quitting, I have met someone who has given me constructive feedback. Sometimes I don’t see the impact my blog has. I feel like I’m writing and speaking to myself. Then, like it happened a few weeks back, I meet someone who tells me how my blog is really helping her up her fashion game.
6. That I am able to pursue my passions. This ties in with number 4 & 5. I am lucky to have had a clear vision of what I love to do early on and have had the courage to pursue my dreams. The road isn’t easy but when you love what you do, you always find the strength to ride the tide.
7. Having had a chance to travel. As I hope to get back into travel mode as I mentioned in this post, I am so happy that I managed to travel out of the country at an early age. This has really helped me expand my view of the world, learn new cultures and make amazing friends (Saanya, Charishma, Yasmeen, Rose, Jessica, Acchuan, I miss you guys).
8. The gift of love. When you go through a break-up it’s very easy to end up hating anything to do with love, I know I did. But you know what, love isn’t limited to boyfriend/girlfriend relationships. Love is found all around us and it is love that will get you through the difficult times.
9. These last three months. The first quarter of 2016 was hard for me. I had so many self doubts, I suffered a lack of confidence and self esteem. But in that moment of confusion, I started rediscovering myself, learning things that I had taken for granted and I fell in love with myself all over again.
10. My faith. Every so often, I get a jolt that reminds me that I cannot take my faith for granted. God runs the show. He controls everything that we go through. Therefore, all we need to do is leave everything in his hands and have faith that he has greater things planned for us.
* You will receive a weekly newsletter from Inches To Style including most recent posts and videos, and musings on the latest happenings around the world.
Video: What I wore in a week
One of the things I promised myself I would do, ever since this pandemic started and life slowed down, is that I would dress up every single day. Granted, I had nowhere to go, but putting on an outfit, no matter how simple, uplifted my…
Leave a Reply